Oktoberfest you say??
Oktoberfest is one of the worlds largest festivals which takes place in Munich, Germany every September. It’s a festival which appeals to a lot of people due to the fact that it gives you the excuse to drink BEER…. Well that’s my arm twisted so let’s take a look at some of the ideas when holding your Oktoberfest themed party.
Dress me up!
Or if you want to go a little more low key and just want to ‘subtly’ add the theme to a your party, then why not give all your guests these fun accessories (above), this way you’ll truly get your beer goggles on!
Tableware and Decorations
The Bavarian colours are blue and white so add this tableware selection to your gathering. You can simply use the napkins to serve your giant pretzels or simply cover the buffet table with our matching cover.
Yellow you may ask? Well obviously the closest colour to the BEER you will be drinking!! Use these beer mug foil balloons to lead the way to the bar!
If you want to add an element of rustic Germany to your party then dot these fun signs around your house/venue. These just add another reminder that they need to get another drink! Hurrah.
Have we forgotten something?
What are we going to serve that all important drink in??! These fun plastic beer mugs will fit right in… Get all your guests to bring different flavoured beers to ensure tour bar is looking healthy.
These are an easy way to keep the theme going throughout the evening. Even the ladies can drink their wine from them if they want!!
Every good Oktoberfest party needs pretzels
You may think this is being highly adventurous… BUT how good would it be to make your own giant pretzels to eat with your friends whilst sipping your steins of beer.
Here’s a recipe to have a go at:
For the Dough
- 4 teaspoons of active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 1/4 cup warm water
- 5 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 4 cups hot water
For the Topping
- Rock Salt or cheese & ham cubes
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in 1 1/4 cup warm water.Leave this to stand for around 10 minutes to ensure the mixture turns nice and creamy.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, 1/2 cup sugar and salt.
- Make a well in the centre and add the oil and yeast mixture.. Now the fun part. Mix until it forms a pretzel dough ball.
- Knead the dough until it’s nice and soft, usually for around 7-8minutes.
- Cover with plastic wrap and leave to rise in a warm place, until it has doubled in size. Usually an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Whilst this is heating up, grease 2 baking sheets or trays. What ever you have!
- Another job to complete….. Dissolve the baking soda in 4 cups of hot water. Set to one side.
- When the dough is risen, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide the mixture into 12! Obviously depending on the size of the pretzels that you want.
- Roll each piece into a rope and twist into a pretzel shape. If your like me and can’t remember then simple find a tutorial which will show you.
- Once all the dough is shaped, dip each pretzel into the baking soda/hot water mixture and place on the baking sheets. Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake in the preheated oven for around 8 minutes!
- Now enjoy with a large Beer at your Oktoberfest themed party!
What are you waiting for?
That’s just a few ideas as to how to set the best Oktoberfest party around….. Let’s be honest, what other excuse do you need to hold a beer themed party? I can’t think of one!