Pumpkin carving is a fun, traditional Halloween activity that can be enjoyed by all ages and levels of skill. All you need is a large pumpkin, a carving tool, a tealight or glow stick, and your own imagination!
So you’ve bought your pumpkin and tools – what’s next?
It’s time to get creative with a unique pumpkin design! You don’t have to stick to the familiar grinning pumpkin face to make an impact – there is a multitude of original and artistic designs just waiting for you to put your own unique spin on.
Let's get started!
To carve perfect pumpkins every time:
- Start by removing the top of your pumpkin by cutting around the stalk
- Scoop out the insides with your hands or a large spoon (you might want to put newspaper down first)
- Draw your chosen design onto one side of the pumpkin
- Push the your carving tool into the pumpkin and cut around the lines
- Remove the cut-outs by pushing them from inside the pumpkin
- Light a tealight and place it into the pumpkin
- Replace the top, and you can proudly display your new creation on a windowsill, doorstep, or wall!
Make sure children are supervised when using the carving tool or lighting the tealight. For a safe alternative to tealights, see our vibrant glow sticks. You don’t even have to carve your pumpkin to make it stand out from the crowd. For a more modern and kid-safe way to decorate your gourd why not try painting it with colourful poster paints, gluing on sequins, or even sprinkling on some fancy glitter for a bit of extra sparkle! Or if you are feeling really ambitious…Carving doesn't have to be limited to pumpkins; pineapples, watermelons, peppers and mandarins make fun and tasty alternatives for a modern take on the tradition. If you’re not feeling artistic this Halloween, take a look at our free pumpkin stencils available for download on our website. Or you can just cheat with our cheeky inflatable pumpkin!
Don't throw me away!
When Halloween is over and the decorations and fancy dress costumes have all been put away, there are still delicious uses for your Halloween pumpkin! Many autumnal recipes use pumpkins as their main ingredient, so don't let it go to waste.
Spiced Pumpkin Soup Recipe Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 cup peeled and cubed sweet potato
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 14-oz cans of non-fat and low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable stock
- 15-oz of pumpkin
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Sauté onion for 3–4 minutes then add flour, curry, cumin and nutmeg and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add sweet potato, salt, chicken broth and pumpkin and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered for about 20–25 minutes or until sweet potatoes are cooked through and softened. Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes to cool.
- Place half of the pumpkin mixture in a blender and process until smooth. Using a strainer, pour soup back into pan. Repeat with rest of soup.
- Raise heat to medium then stir in milk and cook for 5 minutes or until soup is heated through.
- Remove from heat and add lime juice.